With the advent of computers and related technologies more and more tasks are done on it rather than by humans. But as always machine has its own limitations and humans its own advantages. Tools like Google Translate, Yandex Translate, Linguee and many others offer instant translations of a web page, document, and mails and so on. This aspect lures the users and makes them choose such machine translation services over manual services for their everyday purpose.
This can look threatening to millions of linguists all over the world who put rigorous efforts to translate every text, document they are given. There are thousands of translation companies who hire professional translators worldwide. The rise of machine translation definitely put their career at stake. The good news is it is not that gloomy as it seems. Now things to consider here is that both manual translation and machine translation have their own place in the market and serve different purposes. Let’s discuss this in detail:
Pros of Online Translation
- Online translations are always free and do your job at no extra cost. This is the top most reason why people go for this service.
- Their service is quick and fast. It only takes a moment to get your text translated by online translator tools.
- There are thousands of languages that can be translated using these online translation tools.
Cons of Online Translations
- Computer works on set rules and algorithms. Language is not a set of algorithms or mathematical formulas and therefore not completely lends itself to them.
- It runs on artificial intelligence which cannot understand the nuances, dialects and anecdotes of the languages. The translation is never comprehensive and localised.
- It never understands the context of the translated material. It is unable to modify itself as per the target readers and their sensibilities. So it can never express the right emotion in its translated text.
- It is mechanical and lacks a human touch. The translation is done from word to word and hence cannot replicate the exact meaning in the translated sentence and make it sound natural and fluent.
- Behind every translation project goes a lot of study and research. Machine cannot do that like humans do.
- Although most of the languages are covered in online translations, still there are some languages which are left out of their list.
With all its pros and cons these online translation tools have their own space in the market. There are number of areas where it comes really handy. But before indulging in them it is wise to know about its various aspects and then use it accordingly. Here are some of the areas where they can be safely used, such as:
- When it comes to quickly understand the main point or gist of a website or of a selected page it is best to use online translation tools. They offer instantaneous translations.
- It also comes very handy to determine the native language of any document when in doubt or unaware of. For that you don’t have to spend too much time and get the result immediately.
- This comes as a very useful medium when you are at some informal conversation. With its prompt service you get the desired translation then and there without any fuss and keep the conversation going.
Various Aspects of Manual Translation:Translation services have a huge area to cover. Most importantly there are business materials, marketing projects, scientific and medical research related topics which particularly need help of professional language translators and user manual translation companies. Here is an overview of the areas which require manual translation:
- For any official communication, the best choice is undoubtedly a professional translator. The way a professional translator can represent your views, messages, no machine can do.
- Whenever you are targeting global market it is very important to localise your website and marketing strategies as per the culture and sensibilities of that place. An experienced professional translator can only do that and no other machine or translation tool can.
- To keep the momentum of your brand’s success in native language intact in other languages, when you are trying to reach a wider audience a professional translator is of immense help. They can express the same tone of your native language in target language to help you connect with people of your choice better.
- For corporate sector a professional translator can do what no translation tool can ever do. They can express their opinions accurately to the target audience as well as market their brand effectively in any language.
- You will find a translator of any language which is sometimes difficult in online translation tools.
The Final WordAlthough online translation and manual translation may seem contradictory and threatening to each other they are truly not. Both are required in their own way. In this fast paced world the quick and instant online translation tools come very handy for informal or personal use. But when it comes to formal and official matters that would have great impact on your brand name and reputation. There is no alternative to a professional translator. So, these two systems can easily co-exist and continue to serve the world in their own unique ways.
The author is an expert content writer experienced in preparing diversified contents related to language, translation and transcription. So far she has produced many articles related to translation in foreign languages like Hungarian, Danish, and also have completed transcription of regional languages into English. The author is an employee of the well known and professional languages service provider: Somya Translators Pvt. Ltd. With years of experience, trusted team of Somya Translators proves to be the first and best choice.